Friday, April 10, 2009

What is this?




First, I apologize, this is my third post in a row that is not technical. I promise I will get back to the real purpose of this blog in my next post.

Now, on to the question. Does anyone recognize this device? I found it in my closet the other morning. I suspect I probably took it out of a bag after a trip, or picked it up instead of stepping on it in one of my kids' rooms. I probably knew what it was at the time, probably thought I would stick it there for a few days and deal with it later. Now it is later, though, and I have no idea what it is or where it came from.

It takes 3 AAA batteries. It has no identifying markings of any kind. Inside the battery compartment there is no writing. When I turn it on it makes a very high pitched, very low volume whining noise. There is nothing on the sides that are not shown in the two images above. You now know as much as I do about this thing.

If you know what this is, really know what it is, please post a comment. Thanks.

Update: We have a winner! I won't publish the answer here, in case you want to guess. Check out the comments for the answer.

12 comments:

tylermuth said...

Since it only has one button, my first guess was an Apple product, but it's too ugly for that. Portable Geiger counter? The computer behind the numbers on Lost (make sure you enter 4 8 15 16 23 42 every 108 minutes)? The Bombe used by Bletchley Park to crack the Enigma Machine?

Anton Nielsen said...

Thanks Tyler. I may just send it to you; then it will be your problem.

A-

Stew said...

My guess is: ultrasonic mosquito repellent!

If we guess what it is, will you send it to us?

Frankly, I'd rather you just sent the batteries, as those things are useless! :-)

Neelesh Shah said...

if you try different images, you could find it.

the 2 loaded here didnt find any matches

http://ideeinc.com/products/tineye/

Stew said...

Neelesh,

Given the description of Tineye, it's hard to imagine it could find a match based on Anton's handheld shot. That and the fact that it's so generic. But thanks for the link to an interesting new search tool.

dScott said...

Looks like it's time to break out the small screwdrivers and take it apart to view the circuit board(s) and find the circuit identifiers...

Gary Myers said...

I'd guess some sort of emergency power for a mobile phone or similar. But it looks like 7 pins which is peculiar (though the other end of the cable may be a different shape or even have fewer pins)
Google threw up this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mains-Charger-Samsung-YP-P2-Players/dp/B001KLMB82

Neelesh Shah said...

Did you have a HAM Radio ? Is it a part of it ?

Anton Nielsen said...

No ham radio. I'm guessing I spoke at a conference and had a mic attached. I may have detached the mic from this box, which was the transmitter. The pin connector doesn't seem right for that, but it's hard to say. I think dScott is right; time to break open the case (no little screws, I'm afraid). I'll break it open and add a few more pics.

Anonymous said...

I would guess it comes from one of those talking dolls ... the thing looking like a belt clip would be the squeeze button.

That could explain why there aren't any markings as well.

With two little girls in the house sometime I'm quite happy these things come with an on/off switch :)

Gabe

zero said...

Looks like the battery pack for a LED t-shirt to me, one of those sound responsive or wifi detecting ones.

cheers cl3ft

Anton Nielsen said...

We have a winner! Zero, I'll send you a prize if you let me know where to send it.

Anton